Retail Health and Safety
The Retail Health and Safety Forum* was established in October 2016 to promote and develop health and safety standards across Energy UK’s retail membership, and support relevant initiatives.
This group monitors suppliers’ Health and Safety performance and analyses trends in order to identify opportunities to raise standards, both across the membership and leading the way across industry. The expertise brought by the membership enable good practice to be developed and promulgated.
Work completed to date:
- Guide to Summer Working
- A review of supplier risk assessments in relation to ‘Metering’ and ‘Revenue Protection’
- Guidance on safe working and isolation of micro-generation equipment while exchanging supplier metering equipment
- Guide to Winter Working
In 2017 the group focussed on the following areas of work:
- Ways of working and how suppliers address risk assessments;
- Managing installer competency;
- Asset management;
- Fatigue management;
- Violence and aggression towards staff;
- Behavioural Interventions and guiding principles for drivers (as part of the Safety Leaders Group);
- Key Performance Indicator benchmarking exercise for driver safety (as part of the Safety Leaders Group).
Supplier Health and Safety initiatives:
As well as working together through the Retail Health and Safety Forum, Energy UK members have developed initiatives individually that they are happy to share with industry to drive health and safety improvements across the industry. We invite suppliers to use these initiatives to support their own activity if they wish and contact Energy UK if they have any questions about them.
- Missing washers: EDF Energy have worked with Cadent to develop a short video that can be sent to meter installers in the field to remind them of the importance of following the correct procedures for the installation of washers on gas meters. Watch the video
- Pipe cleaning and soldering: EDF Energy in conjunction with Cadent have produced a short video that can be sent to meter installers to remind them of the necessary steps to undertake when preparing pipework and fittings for soldering.
Watch the video
- Unbunged ports and exposed copper: EDF Energy have developed a short video which can be sent to meter installers to remind them of the necessary steps to undertake in relation to bunging exposed ports and ensuring there is no exposed copper wire. Watch the video
Loose connections: EDF Energy have developed a short video which can be sent to meter installers to remind them of the necessary steps to undertake to avoid leaving loose cable connections when installing meters. Watch the video
Working alongside our members, we have documented many of the initiatives our members have implemented to further improve safety during electricity and gas meter installation activity. These initiatives can be found in the following documents. As new initiatives are implemented, we will update these documents accordingly
Retail Health and Safety Forum project summaries:
* Members of the Energy UK Retail Health and Safety Forum include: