Switching supplier heats up in June
Over 250,000 customers switched electricity provider in June, Energy UK said today.
The latest electricity switching data shows 258,658 households chose a new supplier in June 2015 – 73,490 to smaller suppliers. This is more than a quarter of all switches (28 per cent), above average for the year so far.
Lawrence Slade, chief executive of Energy UK said:
“Switching numbers are still high even though it’s summer when people may not be thinking so much about their heating bills.
“Over a quarter of a million people found new deals in June with well over a quarter of those making the switch to smaller suppliers.
“It only takes a matter of minutes to compare what’s out there and, with around 28 tariffs from 16 suppliers offering deals coming in at under £1,000 a year, everyone can shop around for the best energy offers and make this a summer of switching.”
Notes to editors
- The switching data is supplied by Electralink who provide a secure service to transfer data between the electricity market participants. The company operates the Data Transfer Network (DTN) which underpins customer switching, meter interoperability and other business processes critical to a competitive electricity market.
- Read the full electricity switching report for June 2015.
- Read more information about the switching process.
- View the Cornwall Energy reports on competition in the energy sector.
- View the Ipsos MORI report on consumer experiences from April 2015.