Switching on the March
Energy UK’s latest monthly figures, published today, show that over 600,000 customers switched electricity supplier in March 2019.
In total, 615,503 customers changed provider last month - a significant increase of 29% compared to March 2018.
This brings the total number of switches to 1,451,145 this year, up 12% when compared to the same point in 2018.
Lawrence Slade, Energy UK’s chief executive, said:
“It’s very positive to see increasing numbers of customers continuing to switch and engaging in the market to make sure they’re on the best deal for them - and of course, this number doesn’t include those customers who choose to move to a new tariff with their current supplier, which would add many more thousands of households.
“It’s most likely that this month’s increase is in response to the recent price cap rise announced by Ofgem, showing how the price of electricity and gas is affected by variable costs – the vast majority of which are out of suppliers’ direct control. While we hope engagement levels remain high, we can only really assess the cap’s effect on switching over a longer period of time when it might fall as well as increase.
“The one way to ensure lasting savings for all customers – whatever happens to unavoidable costs and the resulting effect on bills – is to make all our homes and businesses energy efficient and for customers to take advantage of new smart tariffs which will help save more money immediately.
“As our forthcoming Future of Energy report makes clear, we need to make energy efficiency a central part of our future. Efficiency measures cut bills by hundreds of pounds a year and in a week where concerns on this issue have been prominent, using less energy has been shown to make a huge contribution to cutting our emissions.”
Tel: 0207 747 2959
Notes to Editors
- To see the latest monthly switching stats, please visit Energy UK’s website.
- The rise in switching figures over last few years has been as follows:
- 2014: 3,196,243
- 2015: 3,835,736
- 2016: 4,822,885
- 2017: 5,543,472
- 2018: 5,878,914
- The switching data is now supplied by Gemserv (starting from September 2018). Gemserv Limited is the service company contracted by the MRA Service Company (MRASCo) to provide services in support of the MRA including the management of its governance and providing specialised expertise to MRASCo in support of the growing electricity retail market. Historical data up to August 2018 was provided by Electralink.
- The data referenced in these reports is for electricity only. These figures include both domestic & non-domestic customers but do not include customers transferred to another supplier as a result of the Supplier of Last Resort process (SOLR).
- Almost 90 per cent of suppliers (by market share) are signatories of the Guarantee. For more information about the Guarantee: www.energyswitchguarantee.com
- These figures do not include internal electricity switching. Such statistics can be found on the Ofgem website.